Muscle relaxants have been in existence for over 30 years when first used to treat facial twitching, which led to the discovery of wrinkle reduction. Since then, this chemical which is derived from a naturally occurring bacterium has had many medical and aesthetic applications.
Once injected into the muscle, it causes temporary muscle paralysis by inhibiting the release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from motor nerve terminals. This prevents muscular contraction and hence creates desired cosmetic effects. These effects can last up to three to four months.
What are anti-wrinkle injections best for?
- Frown lines,
- Crows feet,
- Horizontal forehead lines,
- Gummy smile,
- Chin dimpling and creasing,
- Softening of vertical lip lines,
- Neck bands and horizontal neck lines,
- Excessive sweating,
- Reduction of Massater muscle size, and
- Downturned mouth corners.