Factors affecting ageing include:
- This refers mainly to our genetics.
- Our skin becomes thinner, collagen production decreases and skin looses elasticity. Dead skin cells tend not to shed as efficiently, new skin production slows down and dry skin becomes obvious.
- We lose bone mass and our skull actually starts thinning, becomes smaller and shrinks.
- Gravity takes over and we know the rest.
- Sun damage
- Alcohol use
- Depression (yes, studies have shown that people who suffer depression age faster)
- Lack of personal skin care
- Prior surgery/scarring
- Skin ageing begins quite early – as early as age 20!
- How much you use your facial muscles, (eg dynamic development of wrinkles from repeated facial animation, such as those who are eyebrow talkers) and also if you prefer sleeping on the same side, then that side will wrinkle more overtime.
Aesthetic treatments such as laser, anti wrinkle injections, dermal fillers, chemical peels, quality cosmeceutical products and other interventions such as surgical lifts can assist in reducing the visible signs of ageing.